Monday, August 3, 2009

Anyone been through this????

So my last post was all about the girls first day of school, they were both so excited!!! Well Marlie is loving it and doing great, but Jaiden is having a little harder time adjusting:( Her nerves are going crazy and she doesn't want to be at school all day. She has a strict teacher and doesn't want to be at school. She doesn't want to eat school lunch. She is so nervous at school that she won't even eat all her lunch that I pack for her:( She tears up when I take her to the bus, she cries at school, friday she called me crying and just said please come get me, I feel so bad for her...I am at a lost on even where to start!!! My little 6 year old is all stressed out and I am not sure how to deal with any of this!! If any of you have delt with this or have any advice I would love to hear it!!!! I do realize that all new things have an adjustment time, but how long should I let this go on before I take it to like the school counselor of something...she won't open up to me and tell me what she is afraid of!!! I feel like I am failing her as a parent!!! Like I said any advice would help:)

6 comments:

Erin S said...

Well, obviously, I have yet to deal with this, but I'm thinking maybe its the teacher? You said she was strict. Or maybe there are some mean girls in her class? You could ask the teacher if she has noticed anything that might be upsetting to Jaiden. I dunno....hopefully things get better!

Brittany said...

Obviously I have not been through this with children, BUT, I remember absolutely hating school when I was younger. I was SO shy so school was sometimes painful. I remember if Andrea was sick, I pretended I was sick too so I wouldn't have to go to school without her (I'm sure my mom was very much aware of this). Does she have a buddy in her class that she can sit next to or ride the bus with to make her feel any better? Someone her age who can persuade her that school can be fun?

AJ Candrian said...

I second Brittany's comment. Having a strict teacher is hard, especially if you're not used to someone who is not sweet and nice all the time (like a kindergarten teacher... or a mom, for instance) But you'll just have to make her tough it out. She'll get used to it, and then it won't be so hard. And hey, Brittany and I turned out just fine. (I hope, right?) Erin's suggestion was good too... ask her teacher if she's noticed anything. If anything the teacher has seen other kids go through this same thing, and can at least offer some advice.

Xoxo Grandma said...

Can you go to school & observe her class for an hour or more without the two younger children? (Maybe when James isn't working). Let Jaiden know that you want to have lunch with her that day and get an idea of what's happening in the classroom & at lunch. That first grade transistion is tough...they get tired after a long day of school. Maybe, according to James' schedule, you could volunteer in her classroom (never hurts to soften the teacher...have Jaiden take a special decorated cookie to the teacher....sweeten that person up!)Yes, I remember Brittany not really being sick...kids!

Kelly Lim said...

My niece had a really hard time transitioning into first grade. She did the same exact thing, she was calling home at least three times a week claiming that she was sick, my sister-in-law fell for it for the the first week and then realized that as hard as it was, she had to make her stick it out. She had an awesome Kindergarten teacher and a not so awesome first grade teacher, that was like adding insult to injury. Hang in there, I really think it will get better! It honestly took her about 2 months to fully adapt!

Lindsay said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I think you should definitely talk to the teacher. Let her know how stressed Jaiden is and if she has any suggestions for what you can do? -Once she is aware of it, she could probably try harder to make Jaiden feel more comfortable and go out of her way to be less strict with her. But I would just approach it like you are wondering what you could do... Hope that makes sense!